BLOG || ABOUT

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Weighty issues

I've been toying with data on height and weight of professional cyclists for a while and I want to show you this graph:
Click to enlarge

Find yourself in that graph. How do you compare to the pros? (I originally put a data point representing me in the grah, but the comparison was too embarrassing, so I removed it.)

The lines show combinations of height and weight that give a constant BMI, so they are iso-BMI curves. Most pros have a BMI between 20 and 23, as you can see because most dots are between the two lines. To calculate your BMI, use this formula:

BMI = 703*(weight in pounds)/(height in inches^2)

In the metric system:

BMI = (weight in kg)/(height in meters^2)

Ladies: sorry, the graph is only for men. I don't have data on the weight and height of female riders.

No comments: