BLOG || ABOUT

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Disconnected notes from Carpentersville CX (and photos)


A LOT of photos. Many of them of Team TATI guys, but many others of other teams. (Thanks to El, Mr. K's daughter, for her contribution.)

-This was my first Masters 30+ race, and the first time I've ridden a 'cross bike for 45 minutes, and the first time I've doubled up (the second race was the 4b). Needless to say, I am exhausted.

-The "pump" section didn't make any difference. It didn't benefit riders with mad skills, or good runners. It just broke your pace. Nonetheless, thanks a lot to the race organizers for going to such lengths to introduce a new obstacle in a CCC race.

-The Masters 30+ field was larger than ever (52 starters in a race that usually fields 20 to 30 riders). I got lapped, and I got passed by quite a few Masters 50+, who started their race two or three minutes behind me.

-I taught myself a new technique for getting rid of my opponents. It's called: Lead them into a big tree. I was doing the 4b race and I could feel somebody's breadth down my neck. I was able to hold him off for a while, but I was sure he would pass me during one of the zig-zag sections. So coming out of a corner, I took the turn way too wide, deliberately. If you did that, you were headed straight for a frontal crash into a huge tree. I corrected my line in the very last instant, avoiding the tree by an inch. The next thing I hear is a "No!!! Shit!" from my follower, who had unknowingly followed my wheel through the corner, plus screeching brakes. No more breadth down my neck--at least for a few minutes. Yessssss. I feel so evil.

1 comment:

Sophia said...

hahaha J must have been so proud