BLOG || ABOUT

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Elgin road race

What would you call a 25-mile race with countless turns, nary a straight road, a 180-degree turn, two or three chicanes, a fast descent with an off-camber turn, a couple of short and steep hills, mostly through residential streets, on a 5-mile course? Circuit race? Long noodle twisted into itself? I would say "crazy fun." (Think about the twilight crit in Winfield, but with steeper hills and a much, much longer course.)

That was today's Superweek "road race." Eric N. and I drove down to Elgin for the Masters 30+ 4/5 race in the afternoon--great amenities and organization, by the way, as usual in Superweek.

About 1 1/4 laps into the race I got popped off the back of the field. Being all too familiar with this situation, I took a sip of resignation medicine and told myself: "Ok, finish up your noodle and go home." And that I did. As usual, I joined a small group of other laggards, which always makes the penitence easier--in those situations I like to fantasize that I am in a breakaway group, escaping from an imaginary pack barely two corners behind.

The hairy moment of the day came when the pro/cat1 field, which was on the course at the same time, passed my little posse at the worst possible moment: on a fast turn at the bottom of a long hill. Those guys were coming at 1,000mph, and I had to put my foot down and get off the course to avoid a collision. Thought: I don't think that having two races at the same time is safe on such a short course. I'd like to hear what the pros thought.

Overall, though, I'm glad I went because this is a super-course.

No comments: