BLOG || ABOUT

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A mysterious saddle

Cyclocross is coming, and J and I are busy putting together a machine worthy of this rider. So we're going to Target tonight. No, just kidding. The machine is way too good for me, but isn't that always the case?

I'll give you the full specs and pictures when the bike is all put together, hopefully by the end of July. For now, suffice it to say that the skeleton is made by Dolan. Tati Cycles got one the other day and I must say: the photo does not do justice to this frame. Really bad-ass looking. Just wait till I have it built.

But today I wanted to call your attention to the saddle that I'm putting on this bike. Two numbers: 224g, $29.90. If you're still unimpressed, let me drop a name: WTB Devo.


As you can see in the photo, the sitting portion is almost perfectly flat, and it comes with CrMo rails. It's got very little padding, but the shell flexes quite a bit when I try to bend it with my hands, so it could actually be comfortable. If you want something a bit cushier you should go for the WTB Deva, which has the same shape and construction, but a slightly thicker padding. (Yes, the Deva is meant for women, but I doubt it will make you guys grow boobs or anything.)

For those of you unfamiliar with off-road saddles, the WTB Devo has a great reputation among riders. Currently WTB only makes a version with titanium rails, which tips the scales at just below 200g, and is sold for $120-$150. And yet, somehow, somebody on eBay is selling this saddle for a third or a fourth of the price. So, what gives?

Well, as I said, mine has CrMo rails and it's an out-of-production model. But still, 224g... This thing should be selling for at least $80. One possibility is that it's a copycat. That would explain why you only can buy it on eBay, and only from one seller, who ships from Hong Kong... On the other hand, the item is not available any more... So this could actually be one of the few existing units of the CrMo Devo...

My skeptical self tells me that this is too good to be true, and that a hasty remount will crunch this seat in less than two months. Any bets? Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Joe said...

If my Selle Italia SLR potato chip can take me jumping onto it, that thing will be fine.