BLOG || ABOUT

Monday, August 25, 2008

My CX shoes

I just got my Adidas Razors and I wanted to share some thoughts with you, in case they can help you with this purchase. You might also wanna check out these Guidelines for Cyclocross Shoes.
Finding good shoes for CX is hard. First, not many manufacturers make CX-specific shoes, if any, so you have to buy generic "MTB" shoes (retailers abuse the MTB designation so much that I must put it in quotes). What makes CX different from MTB riding is that you need a sole stiff enough for good power transfer while on the bike, but flexible enough so that you're comfortable running in them. It sounds like squaring a circle.

Carbon and rubber are at the two extremes of the stiffness spectrum, so neither might work for you. I would opt for nylon, possibly reinforced with fiberglass or carbon inserts on the cleat area. The Adidas Razors seem to bend quite a bit on the mid section --that is where the arch of your foot is-- but I can't test them on the field yet.

The second thing to consider if you have CX in mind is the hardness of the rubber lugs on the sole. It seems intuitive that very hard rubber will have poor traction and, almost surely, will transfer more shock to your feet while running.

At 365g of actual weight (730g for the pair), the Adidas Razors are quite light, and they're spike-ready. (My knowledgeable sources tell me that spikes come in very handy in courses with steep, muddy climbs.) The toe spikes are not included though.

They come with XC-lite outsole, TPU lugs (whatever those things mean), a micro-ratchet strap plus two velcro straps, and synthetic upper (not real leather). The accents on the top and heels are silver, not white.

The one thing that doesn't please me about the Razors is the large mesh surface on the upper, sides and heel, because these are supposed to be the only shoes I'll use in the winter, my tootsies are very sensitive to the cold, and I don't feel like spending $$$$$ on proper winter shoes. But then, these are performance shoes, so I can't complain.

The size 10/44 I ordered fits me very well with both thin and thick socks, perhaps thanks to the ratchet strap (my shoe size is between 10 and 10.5, depending on the shoe).

The ones I got are available at pricepoint.com for $89.98. BlueSkyCycling.com carries a white version for $74.98, which tempted me for a long time. (I'm going through a period of infatuation with white cycling apparel. Plus, considering that my CX rig will be white, can you imagine how outrageously good I would look?) It finally dawned on me that after my first muddy ride any white shoe would retain a nasty brownish hue forever, even after I washed them, so I went for the more practical black. Sigh.

Other options I considered: Time MXE, Nashbar Pro, and Vittoria Pro X. If you must buy Adidas, you may wanna give a chance to the Voltage, which are less pricey than the Razors, but also less good looking.

No comments: