BLOG || ABOUT

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Race reports from Carpentersville

Julie Eisenhardt (W-4, Half Acre Cycling)

This course and I didn’t have much love for each other. The barriers were knee-high to me and there was no chance of me clearing them if I ran, so instead I approached them with a ladylike side-step, dainty and slow. But there was this over-the-hill bump just before you hit the barriers, coming off some pavement, that I’d fly over and absolutely loved.

Joe Kallo (Masters 30, UCVC)

The highlight of my Masters race was my first front line start for a big kids race. I suppose the lack of a pre-race hangover was making me feel cocky because I decided to line up along side people I had no business toeing the line with.

Sophia Lee (W-4, Tati)

The corners weren't too bad, and it wasn't very technical of a course, but there was a sand pit! I just ran through it, although many of the more experienced riders in later races actually did ride through. Anyways, I got third in my race! Thanks to everyone who cheered for me. I tend to be "grimacing," but inside, I do appreciate it, and I do go faster.

Tamara Fraser (W-4, XXX)

We had 21 women [yay!] in the cat 4 race, and the start was hot. I need to practice sprinting from the whistle -- getting out ahead at the start is SO important in cross. I ended up in a pack tearing over the grass and through the narrow corners -- something I was not completely comfortable with. I overcooked a corner before the first barrier and lost about 15 places. I spent the rest of the race catching and passing, catching and passing. Which, I have to say, was extremely gratifying.

Jeff Holland (M-3, XXX)

By the time we were half-way through the first lap, I was off the back, in DFL. [sigh...] I kept going, eventually catching and passing a Big Sharks junior who had blown up. A few laps later, I was lapped by Ben Popper, and slowly I'd be lapped by the rest of the field except for Ernie, who I was closing in on. A few laps more, and I was hurtin' for certain. At this point, I refused to quit. It was more about finishing and maybe beating Ernie.

J (M-4, Tati)

But I was in the lead. I was in the lead of a lap versus some teammates after all of the races had ended. And being in the lead, I wasn't about to allow a tiny detail like riding in sock feet slow me down.
But I did slow down, and it probably wasn't because I was in sock feet. I would like to think that it was because my feet don't have Eggbeater cleats in them, but that's not the reason. If my feet had Eggbeater cleats in them, they wouldn't hurt as much today, or have nice purpley bruises in the shape of Eggbeater pedals on the soles.

Beverly Bike-Vee Pak

This time through approaching the sand I can hear my two year old son saying "go fast Daddy" so I had to clear the sand. My wife is shouting "more speed, more speed" so I have to obey. I shift up and sprint looking for the line on the left. I hit it clean, and power though, I probably smiled as I came out of the pit and could hear the crowds reaction. I also opened up a decent gap again.

Debbie Dust (W-1, Kenda)

So I was first loser on the day. An acceptable finish because really, I worked hard but I didn't bury myself too horribly, suffer that badly and I didn't break a nail or fall off my bike a single time (yay!!).

1 comment:

Julie said...

...thanks for the quote, but I'm Julie Popper now! I done got hitched. Say hi - I'll be there Sunday.