BLOG || ABOUT

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The weekend's (lack of) adventures

On Saturday I found myself the only roadie in the team. The rest of the troupe was CXing at Palos. My initial plan was to do an easy 50 miler. But, not having ridden my bike the previous two days, my good ol' impulses commanded that I ride a bit longer. And so before I knew it I was a man on a mission to Highland Park (105+ km round trip), all by my onesie self.

No traffic to speak of on the path. Just sprinkles, cold, some wind, and a a few piles of sand.

I reached port on the verge of bonking. Perfect timing. Scurried away from the cold and into Perfect Blend for a cup of hot cocoa. Yum. Just what I needed. It warmed me up real nice, "from the inside out," as the pros recommend.

As I was sitting down, the ginormous posse of XXX riders arrived, filling the small café to the brim and overflowing into the sidewalk. Double perfect timing.

This rider sits next to me and asks:
-So why "Tati"?
-He was a French actor and director who made funny movies... And there were bicycle in most of his movies.
-So you're all French?
-No, I'm Catalan. But we're all rude, like the French...hahahaha

Nice folks those XXXers.

Came back home without incident. Just a bit cold and my legs definitely beaten after more than four hours on the saddle.

Mental notes for next time:

1. If there's room in the CXers car, try going to Willow Springs with them and do the TT course several times while they do their thang. The bike ride might get boring, but the company surely will not.

2. Failing that, join the XXX ride, or at least bring your i-Pod.

3. Order a smaller cup of cocoa. I guess it was the milk, but several times on the way home I felt like my delicious hot beverage wouldn't stay in my stomach.

No comments: