BLOG || ABOUT

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Nifty stuff

  • The all-in-one tool for the fixed-gear or single-speed bike. ($30). Available in January.
    It comes with a 15mm hex for removing your bolt-on wheels; a 5mm hex for seatpost and handlebar bolts; 8, 9, and 10mm box wrenches for older style brakes and seatpost clamps; a lock ring tool; and most important, a bottle opener. It also comes with a small eyelet for pinning on a piece of extra chain to create a compact chain whip.
    From VeloNews, through Jeff Holland.
  • Another review of the Shimano Di2.
    I’m going to split the difference on this one: We don’t need Di2 the way we need more efficient cars. The Segway was an invention that hasn’t made the world more interesting. On the other hand, I wouldn’t want to still be stuck on Nuovo Record. Great as it is, I’m glad for integrated brake and shift levers—now there’s an answer to a question someone asked. (...)
    I’m going to cut to the chase: Di2 rocks. The shifting is simply the fastest I’ve ever experienced, faster, I dare say, than I would have imagined possible. While rear derailleur upshifts aren’t much faster than current Dura-Ace, the front derailleur upshifts are honestly smoother and faster than I thought possible, even when out-of-the-saddle and stomping the pedals in a Tom Boonen-goes-bye-bye effort. As a matter of fact, the faster your cadence, the faster the shift.
  • Classy wheels.

No comments: