BLOG || ABOUT

Monday, September 15, 2008

Highs and lows

So it seems that my racing season is over. No cyclocross. In fact no riding at all for a little longer. Time, then, to put together "The Best (and the Worst) Of".

Overall, the season was great thanks to my team. I had a group of people with whom I actually trained and raced. And a directeur sportif. And real sponsors. And practice criteriums at Calumet. And team meetings. Cycling would have been half as fun without Team Tati for me.

The high point

I can't decide. I felt really good at Sherman Park. Usually, in a race, I find myself desperately trying to cling on to the fragile thread that ties me to the wheel in front of me. It's a rare occasion when following that wheel is effortless, but it happened at Sherman Park. It was even better: I felt so well that I got bored and I was compelled to chitchat with people around me--during two different races. I should have tried a flier with half a lap to go.

The second high point was a particular training ride in Willow Springs, at the end of June I think. Matt, Dan, Andrew, Taewon, Bernard, J, and probably a couple of other guys were there. The weather was gorgeous and the guys (and I) went bonkers attacking each other over and over and over. I think the endorphines from that ride still linger in my body.

The low point

My season actually ended on August 6, but I didn't know it back then. A deer crossed the road one Saturday when I was riding with the guys, near Willow Springs too. I braked hard, blocked the front wheel and went over the handlebars, landing on my left side. The low point of the season was the time I spent by the local Seven-Eleven, brooding over the ugly bump on my shoulder, fearing the worst, and waiting for somebody to pick me up. Miserable.

I am very thankful, though, to the guys who took care of me then. Joe bought me some ibuprofen, Sarah got me a baggie to ice my shoulder, Andreas tried to cheer me up, and Jeff and his wife took me home in their car.

The injury wasn't too bad. Just bad enough that a doctor says I have to keep my arm in a sling for six weeks (can you hear my eyes rolling?) and then do some rehab exercises. Just bad enough to keep me off the bike for two months. But I'm supposed to be as good as new once I strengthen my arm and shoulder.

Next season

I will race more, especially road races. This year I missed some due to injury (Whitewater, Oak Brook) and others due to lack of fitness (Spring Prairie).

I will in better condition. By January 1 I will have reached my cycling weight (drop those chips right now, mister!). And I'll ride through the winter, unlike last year. And by early March I will be riding a beautiful, fast, super-light road bike. Well, the new rig is not crucial, but it helps to stay motivated through the winter, doesn't it? Hopefully I'll get some collegiate races in during March with UCVC, and will be ready to roll for Hillsboro-Roubaix. That's the plan.

2 comments:

jesse williams said...

Glad to hear you'll be racing again next year. We've definitely been missing you in the mornings.

morningroll said...

Thanks, man. Yeah, I miss riding with you guys. I have to make it work with my job.